disk is full error

  1. #1

    disk is full error

    this is a bit off topic. I come here to ask about a problem in Ms word as there are no good MSword forums out there. Maybe some of you have experineced this. When using the equation editor in Word any saves of your Word document usually result in a "disc is full or too many files open" error

    Try doing a google search on "disc is full" and you will see what I mean.
    I've been trying for the 4 days to narrow down just what triggers this error but to no avail. The error seems to be intermittent . A document containing equations may be saved to disc with no problem but then a save at a later date may invoke the error. Microsoft is aware of this bug but they have no eal fixes for it. I sent microsoft an email stating that there software is sh*t and would they please fix it They have not replied.

    Today was the worst day i have ever spent wordprocessing , The technique was to write a sentence, do a save, write a sentence, do a save ect. I did this to be safe and sure enough after about 1 hour of this the computer did a full regurgitation of my document and crashed the computer!!

    Somethings up in MIcrosoftville and I tore a strip off them in my email

    Any ideas??

  2. #2
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: disk is full error

    This is a common problem in Excel for people who save their files directly to
    floppy disks or flash memory sticks. It has to do with the temporary files
    Excel creates while you are working with a file. If I understand correctly,
    when you save a file, if the save is successful, the original file is deleted
    and the temporary file is renamed to the original file's name. The hidden
    temporary file is in the same folder as the original, so it's not too hard to
    run out of space on a floppy disk. Maybe the same holds true for Word. Always
    save to a hard drive, then copy the file to the portable media.

    BTW, the Microsoft Office on Yahoo is great for Word questions:
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/mso

    Hope this helps,

    Hutch

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: disk is full error

    There are some very good people monitoring the MSWord news groups.

    Are you saying you don't like the quality of help or that you can't find any
    MSWord groups?

    Try this list of MS news groups. There are several for MSWord.

    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    thanks for replies. I did a search on this site and there have been some cases where Excel failed in a similar manner.

    I thought about the disc being full because of the temproray file but THIS IS NOT THE CASE. My word document is only 50kb and the floppy disc is 1.44MB even with the temporary file this is a total 0f 100kb so thats not it.

    As far as the temporary file being made - that may be only for the autorecovery file. As far as I know when you do a SAVE the old file is actually overwritten. This is how the old DOS file system used to work

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: disk is full error

    This is fantastic!

    Are you saying that the XL groups are *soooo* good, that the folks around
    here are to be expected to answer any and all questions concerning anything?

    Well, I know if you want some info on quantum physics, maybe Harlan can
    oblige.

    If you need some help with steam and/or power generation, I'm sure Gord can
    help.

    I can help with applying color to your fabric.

    Maybe we should post a menu of "mixed" abilities?<vbg>

    RD

    "integreat" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,629
    From reading the query and the replies, I get the impression you are saving (or trying) to a floppy disk; if not, please disregard this reply.

    I don't know if you are aware of the limited number of files that can be saved in the root dir of the floppy, or how many files you currently have on it. If the root file limit is reached, you will get the disk full error even if each file is only a few bytes long.

    One suggestion is to make a new, say, docs directory, move all the files there and then try to save the problem document.
    Ben Van Johnson