how do i setup IF name = this then address = that

  1. #1
    frederick
    Guest

    how do i setup IF name = this then address = that

    hello, i would like to set up something like this: if name = a then address =
    x, if name = b then address = y,....
    i work with 2 sheets, 1 for invoices 1 for contents or datas

  2. #2
    Hi Frederick ...

    What are you trying to do here? Are you trying to give an individual cell an instruction to do something according to what the value of another cell is? For example, are you trying to automatically fill cell A2 with the address of the person who's name appears in A1?

    G'fer

  3. #3

    Re: how do i setup IF name = this then address = that

    If you have lots of names, it may be better to create a 2 column table on
    another sheet (and hide that sheet???).

    Then you could use this kind of formula:

    =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

    And to avoid looking at errors when there isn't a match:

    =if(a1="","",if(iserror(vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)),"Missing Name",
    vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)))

    Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup():

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how do i setup IF name = this then address = that

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 04:58:01 -0700, frederick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hello, i would like to set up something like this: if name = a then address =
    >x, if name = b then address = y,....
    >i work with 2 sheets, 1 for invoices 1 for contents or datas

    Set up a table and use VLOOKUP
    --ron

  5. #5
    frederick
    Guest

    Re: how do i setup IF name = this then address = that

    exactly, pb i am real novice in excel, so f.e when i try with 1value it works
    well but as long as i try to put more values it just wont work
    =IF(I5="Frederick";Products!I3;Products!I6) works
    =IF(I5="Frederick","Karim";Products!I3;Products!I6)

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    If you only have a few exampls where you want to look this up you could use the OR command. In your example here it would be

    =IF(or(I5="Frederick",I5="Karim"),Products!I3,Products!I6)

    With this is I5 = Frederick or I5 = Karim then it will show the value for Products!I3, if it does not equal either if these values then it will display the value in Products!I6

    You can also nest many OR commands within these brackets.

    If what you are looking for is to be able to display different results depending on the input in I5 then you would probably need to se a VLOOKUP command which woul be along the lines of

    =vlookup(I5,"Range","Column",FALSE)

    If this is what you need then post again with a little bit more info about the data you have and what you are trying to find.

    Hope this helps

    Regards

    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by frederick