Skip blank cells in diagrams

  1. #1
    hlp
    Guest

    Skip blank cells in diagrams

    How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among
    these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0'
    but just to skip the cell.

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    You can include the function NA() in that field and the zero value for the
    data won't be displayed.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    hlp,

    Click once on your chart. Then, go to the standard toolbar and go to Tools
    -> Options -> Chart -> Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps).

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    hlp
    Guest

    RE: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    Hello John Mansfield & Barb Reinhardt

    thank you for your answers.

  5. #5
    groj
    Guest

    RE: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    In my series data, the blank is created by an if statement so there is a
    calculation here that makes the cell blank. should it still not plot it as
    zero?
    I looked where you mention, and I am already set up to plot emplty cells as
    not plotted. But there are still zeros being plotted.

    any help?
    thanks

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    Hi,

    The blank part of your formula should be NA() rather than "".

    =IF( test , value , NA() )

    More information here
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokenlines.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  7. #7
    groj
    Guest

    Re: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    Andy,
    If I use "NA()" then it places a "#NA" in the excel spread sheet due to that
    condition. This defeats the purpose of formating my sheet to leave blanks. By
    leaving blanks there is less information on the sheet and it looks much more
    professional/neat.

    Is there another way?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    Hi,

    The replies to your other posts contain information on formatting the
    cells such that the #NA is not displayed.

    This might be a case where 2 sets of the data are required. One
    formatted for the chart to work and one for the cell presentation to
    look professional. No need to duplicate the actual data just use cell
    references.

    Cheers
    Andy

  9. #9
    Jennifer
    Guest

    Re: Skip blank cells in diagrams

    Hi, I don't want my blank cells to appear anywhere on my chart. I want it to
    ignore the cooresponding cell if the cell has #NA in it. Write now, I have
    over 10,000 cells, but only 50 have results but the chart is trying to chart
    the entire workbook.

  10. #10
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest