Please help me, losing hair (chart with 2 data against time)

  1. #1
    Satraver
    Guest

    Please help me, losing hair (chart with 2 data against time)

    Oh my soul, I've been trying to create a chart showing simply this: I have
    spreadsheet with three columns; first is hardware, second is Test, third is
    Time. So I'm comparing how long it takes on four different machines to run
    through a series of tests. I want the chart to show bars with a different
    color for each type of hardware (so all HP6750s are red, HPC8000s are blue,
    etc). The Y axis should be time. And the major X axis should be type of
    test (loading data, rotating data, etc). I cannot figure this out. Please
    help if you can.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Please help me, losing hair (chart with 2 data against time)

    Put the machine names in the first column, and enter the tests in the
    first row, as column headings. For example:

    Load Rotate
    HP6750 0.25 0.33
    HPC8000 0.3 0.3

    Then, create the chart from the table.

    Or, you could build a pivot table and pivot chart.
    There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site:

    Add headings to the first row of the list
    Select a cell in the list
    Choose Data>PivotTable Report
    Click Next, select the list, click Next
    Click Layout
    Drag the Hardware button to the row area
    Drag Test to the column area
    Drag the Time button to the Data area, where it will
    become Sum of Time
    Click Next, choose a location for the Pivot Table, click Finish

    Select a cell in the Pivot Table, and click the Chart Wizard button

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Satraver
    Guest

    Re: Please help me, losing hair (chart with 2 data against time)

    Thanks so much Debra. I changed the way I had the columns and now I am
    seeing what I expected. That's great, thanks!