Area Chart Question

  1. #1
    John M
    Guest

    Area Chart Question

    Hello,

    I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers. Is there a way to show
    the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
    having the totals appear on the area graph itself?

    John

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Area Chart Question

    John,

    Unfortunately the data tables are not going to give you a lot of
    flexibility. Whatever is in the chart is going to show up on the data table.
    To get around this restriction, I would suggest creating a data table made
    of worksheet cells as opposed to using the standard data table. The link
    below describes the process:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...n_data_tables/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Area Chart Question

    John -

    You can format the totals series to be invisible: Double click on it,
    Patterns tab, None for Area and Border.

    The Y axis will behave nicer if you change the series to a line series
    first: Select the series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and
    pick out a line chart style. Now format this to be invisible: Double
    click, Patterns tab, None for Marker and for Line.

    This said, you may not care for the chart with a data table, since it
    forces the ends of the area segments off the ends of the chart, leaving
    an unsightly gap at either side. John's suggested approach is a decent
    alternative, and Tushar Mehta has some additional suggestions for data
    tables on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP