Chart Date X Axis

  1. #1
    MrC
    Guest

    Chart Date X Axis

    I currently have a chart with an x axis that is dates. The dates aren't
    in order in the supporting table but display in order on the chart which
    is great.

    Is there a way of appending some text to each date field and having the
    date and text displayed on the x axis and having Excel order the dates
    in chronological order.

    ie in the table
    10 Apr 04-1
    15 Feb 04-5
    20 May 04-2
    31 Jan 04-4
    would still print in date order.
    Thanks...

  2. #2
    MrC
    Guest

    Re: Chart Date X Axis

    MrC wrote:

    > I currently have a chart with an x axis that is dates. The dates aren't
    > in order in the supporting table but display in order on the chart which
    > is great.
    >
    > Is there a way of appending some text to each date field and having the
    > date and text displayed on the x axis and having Excel order the dates
    > in chronological order.
    >
    > ie in the table
    > 10 Apr 04-1
    > 15 Feb 04-5
    > 20 May 04-2
    > 31 Jan 04-4
    > would still print in date order.
    > Thanks...

    Sorry,
    "would still print in date order"
    should say
    "would display in date order along the x axis of the chart"

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Chart Date X Axis

    Excel uses the values as dates if it recognizes their date format. As
    soon as you append text, their format is no longer a date, and you lose
    the ability to sort by date order.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP