Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

  1. #1
    MrC
    Guest

    Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    I have a bar chart with dates on the xaxis being resorted (primary axis
    = automatic). There are 26 entries over a one year period. The trouble
    is the bars come out as vertical lines, I can't set the xaxis format so
    that they have any thickness. If I set the chart to not sort the xaxis
    then the bars are okay.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    Your axis is set so the base unit is days. Each bar must then fit within
    a band 1/365th the width of the chart. If you change the base unit to
    months, you will have two ro sometimes three points occurring at the
    same month.

    You shoucl consider changing from time scale to category for the axis.
    Choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, click on the Axes tab, and
    select Category under Primary X Axis.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    MrC
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    Thanks for the quick reply Jon.

    WRT changing the base units to months, if I do this then I only get one
    value for that month. The major and minor units have to be months as well.

    WRT xaxis = category, if I choose this then the date order is gone.

    Here is the matrix I'm charting on:
    date series1
    5-Apr-04 5
    25-Jan-04 2
    15-Mar-04 4
    10-Mar-04 3
    10-Jan-04 1

    Thanks for your help....
    BTW I'm using Excel 2000

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    What do you expect XL to do? You want sufficient horizontal space for
    365 entries and XL is giving it to you. The result is that each day
    occupies only 1/365th of the horizontal space of the plot area.

    You *might* get some additional thickness by double-clicking the
    plotted series, selecting the Options tab, and setting the Gap Width to
    zero.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  5. #5
    MrC
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    If you're saying that bar charts don't work in this case (ie the bars
    are too thin to be of any use) then the software should prevent people
    from specifying bar charts under these conditions.

    Your "advice" to changing the gap is a non-starter....it doesn't work.
    Its beginning to sound like this is a lost cause...

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    Whether one likes a particular effect or not is a subjective matter.
    To disallow a feature for its entire customer base because one person
    doesn't like it would be a rather draconian step for MS to take,
    wouldn't it?

    You can use formatting to focus the eye on the bars. Double-click the
    plotted series and from the Patterns tab set the border to none and
    pick a bright color for the area (red or blue works well).

    If you still don't like the effect, I don't know what to write. Just
    keep this in mind. The bars are as thick as they possibly can be given
    the requirement that there be space for 365 possible bars. To see
    that, stretch the chart out horizontally over 20 or 30 columns. The
    bars will get thicker.

    If you feel strongly enough about this, let MS know. Visit

  7. #7
    MrC
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    I have tried playing around with formatting the bars, colour, width,
    gap, etc with no luck....no significant change. This feature works with
    line and area charts but not bar charts.

    Unless anyone has a way around this I would say the combination of time
    scale and bar charts is not a valid combination so don't use it...even
    though Excel supports it.

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    If you leave the border on the columns, you will not likely see the
    internal color. Tushar suggested hiding the border. If the width of each
    bar changing from 2 pixels to 3 or 4 is insignificant, then I agree that
    the change is rather insignificant.

    - Jon
    -------

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bar Chart Date XAxis Thin Bars

    > WRT changing the base units to months, if I do this then I only get one
    > value for that month. The major and minor units have to be months as well.

    I was telling what would go wrong if you changed the base unit to
    months. Not clearly enough.

    > WRT xaxis = category, if I choose this then the date order is gone.
    >
    > Here is the matrix I'm charting on:
    > date series1
    > 5-Apr-04 5
    > 25-Jan-04 2
    > 15-Mar-04 4
    > 10-Mar-04 3
    > 10-Jan-04 1

    If you want date order, but don't care about proportional spacing, then
    sort the worksheet by date, then use the category axis type.

    - Jon
    -------