Creating time chart

  1. #1
    carina
    Guest

    Creating time chart

    I have a datasheet in the following format showing times for a series of
    processes.
    Name Start Duration End
    MC1 23:45 01:43 01:28
    MC2 23:55 01:32 01:27
    MC3 00:05 00:23 00:29
    I want to create a Gantt chart showing each process as a line from start
    time to end time in the x-direction so I can see where process times overlap
    (there are 12 altogether). I cannot find how to do this. Everything I try
    starts from the Y-axis, not at the correct start position and I cannot get
    the end position to display. Also axis labels are nonsense. Can anyone help
    as I have no idea how to achieve this.

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Creating time chart

    Organize your data as below. Note that you have to use a date together
    with the time (you are crossing midnight after all)

    Name Start Duration
    MC1 1/1/2005 23:45 01:43
    MC2 1/1/2005 23:55 01:32
    MC3 1/2/2005 00:05 00:23

    Now, create what XL calls a bar chart (horizontal bars) and for the
    subtype select 'stacked bar' (step 1 of the wizard). Ensure that in
    step 2 of the wizard XL has data in columns selected.

    Once done, double-click the first plotted series and from the Patterns
    tab set both the Border and Area to none.

    For a tutorial see
    Floating bars tutorial
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/floating_bars/tutorial/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    carina
    Guest

    Re: Creating time chart

    Thank you Tushar, I've now got exactly what I wanted.
    It was the fact I had to include the date as well as the time that I hadn't
    grasped.

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Creating time chart

    You are welcome.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Thank you Tushar, I've now got exactly what I wanted.
    > It was the fact I had to include the date as well as the time that I hadn't
    > grasped.

    {snip}