Sizing handles on my chart titles don't work!

  1. #1
    Nicole
    Guest

    Sizing handles on my chart titles don't work!

    I can SEE the sizing handles when I click on the text box, but when I run the
    mouse over them, I don't get the double-headed arrow. I can't resize the
    chart title, or either of the axis titles. Strangely, I CAN resize the legend
    box. I have tried re-making the chart through the Wizard - I've also tried
    other charts in other files. I can't resize any of the title boxes!

    Help!

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Sizing handles on my chart titles don't work!

    Select the chart title and change the font size.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Sizing handles on my chart titles don't work!

    Hi Nicole -

    Those chart titles, axis titles, and data labels only pretend to be text
    boxes, but those little handles are only decoys (like the Close Door
    buttons on elevators). Excel sticks them in the chart and doesn't allow
    you to do much more to make them fit than resize the font, as Barb has
    suggested.

    You could replace these features with text boxes, which give you much
    more control over the size of the rectangle. Sometimes it can be a chore
    to get them to stay positioned where you want them, however.

    The easiest way to add a textbox to a chart (and not to the worksheet,
    where it may float above or below the chart, but independently of it),
    is to select the chart and type the label. A new textbox appears in the
    middle of the chart, ready for formatting. If you want to link the
    textbox to a cell, select the chart, press the = key, and select the cell.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services