charts....x and y axis

  1. #1
    Hazeus
    Guest

    charts....x and y axis

    I am trying to create a line chart with 2 lines alongs the same axis

    the numbers are as follows y axis xaxis
    series 1
    series 2
    3 185
    20
    3.5 165
    50
    4 145
    80

    there are more, but as long as I can do these I should be fine...when I try,
    I cannot get teh y axis to be these numbers and the x axis are just 1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 for each data point added...I know this is a long question....but any
    help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: charts....x and y axis

    The line wrapping really distorted your data table.

    Do you want the left column on the Y axis and the right column(s) on the
    X? Charting is normally facilitated if the X data is further left. Also,
    all series in a line chart use the same X axis values, and the values
    are treated as equally spaced, even if they are not evenly spaced
    numerically. So you may want to use an XY Scatter chart instead (which
    can of course be formatted with lines connecting the points).

    You don't need to rearrange the data even if it means more work. Try
    this procedure.

    Select an empty cell surrounded by other empty cells, and start the
    chart wizard. In step 1 select XY Scatter for chart type, with whatever
    subtype you like. In step 2, choose the Series tab, click on Add, then
    using the selection boxes, choose the X and Y ranges and name for the
    first series. Click Add again and repeat this for the second series, and
    for as many series as you have to plot..

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Hazeus
    Guest

    Re: charts....x and y axis

    that worked...thank you very much

  4. #4
    knows too little
    Guest

    Re: charts....x and y axis

    Have done all you suggested to solve my same problem of
    data displaying with integers as x variable. But despite
    following directions as best I can, the data refuses to
    plot as a scatter chart. Help!

    3 185
    >> 20

    3.5 165
    >> 50

    4 145

  5. #5
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: charts....x and y axis

    Be sure you are using the XY (Scatter) chart type.

    Be sure all data values are numeric, not text. If even one X value is
    non-numeric, the XY (Scatter) chart may revert to Line (category labels on
    the horizontal axis: 1,2,3,...).

    One way to fix: enter 0 (zero) in a cell, copy the cell, select the cells
    containing
    the chart data, and choose Edit | Paste Special | Add.

    - Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: charts....x and y axis

    You can save a keystroke by not entering the zero, as a blank cell will paste
    special as a zero value.

    XP and 2003 notice cells with numbers that are formatted as text, and show the
    little green triangle. Everyone claims there were no compelling reasons to upgrade
    since 2000, but there are lots of these little things.

    - Jon
    -------