Y-Bars for Columns in a series

  1. #1
    CajunDan
    Guest

    Y-Bars for Columns in a series

    I have a chart (Column graph) that displays 4 means, 2 means (y-values) in
    each of two series. I want to display a separate y-bar for each mean (with
    1.96 times the standard error of the mean for each group in the series), but
    Excel seems to designate a y-bar for the entire series only. When I set the
    value for the y-bar. Is there any way to keep the chart displaying two series
    with two means each and have y-bars that pull values separately for each bar?

    I tried creating 4 separate series, but I lose the chance to label the two
    groups on the x-axis.
    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Y-Bars for Columns in a series

    Dan -

    You can put the values for the error bars in the sheet. In the error bar dialog,
    click in the Custom + box, and select the range with custom values, then click in
    the Custom - box and again select the range (you can actually specify different
    values for + and - if desired).

    Scroll about halfway down on this page to see it in action:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    CajunDan
    Guest

    Re: Y-Bars for Columns in a series

    Jon,
    How simple and elegant. I will use this feature from now on. Y-bars are
    critical in my area of research. I appreciate the help.
    Dan-