Explain Pivot tables & charts

  1. #1
    Knows too little
    Guest

    Explain Pivot tables & charts

    What is the difference between a table and a pivot
    table? Between a chart and a pivot chart. Why would one
    prefer one type versus another?

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Explain Pivot tables & charts

    Take a look here for a guide to pivot tables and you should see the
    benefits:-

    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Explain Pivot tables & charts

    Ken, thanks for the plug.

    In short, Pivot Tables are a hugely powerful, dynamic, interactive tool for
    analyzing data in any number of different ways. It's well worth the hour it may take
    to figure them out.

    Pivot charts capture some of this power in chart form, while at the same time
    removing a lot of the functionality of regular charts. I sometimes use pivot charts,
    but I'm more likely to make a regular chart, then remake it when the data changes
    because it can't keep up with the size and shape of the pivot table the way a pivot
    chart can. But the pivot chart loses all its formatting when the pivot table
    changes, so that's not really much of a disadvantage.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services