Placing bubbles

  1. #1
    laszlo
    Guest

    Placing bubbles

    I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius.
    The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell
    (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a
    bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location
    x=2, y=5.

    How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column,
    radius).

    Thanks in advance, Laszlo

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Placing bubbles

    I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble
    chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up like
    this:

    x y size
    2 5 0.25
    4 6 0.46
    6 8 0.68
    9 6 0.96

    The coordinates as you've presented them looked like they might be swapped.
    Can you post back with an example similar to that above of how your data is
    set up?

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    laszlo
    Guest

    RE: Placing bubbles

    Dear John,

    thanks a lot for your fast answer !

    If I translate my date to your example, it will work, as desired.

    But my data are placed as follows (I'll use your example):

    I have a range of 10 rows / 10 columns: A1:J10. The cell A10 represents the
    coordinates (X=1;Y=1); the cell B10 represents the coordinates (X=2;Y=1), the
    cell A9 represents the coordinates (X=1, Y=2) and so on. For example the
    cell C6 represents the coordinates (X=3;Y=5).

    Back to your example:

    B6 = 0.25
    D5 = 0.46
    F3 = 0.68
    I5 = 0.96

    Is there any symple way (e.g. without transforming my 10 X 10 range into the
    proposed 3 x 100 range) to create the desired chart ?

    Thank you in advance,

    Laszlo

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Placing bubbles

    Laszlo -

    Why not just rearrange rearrange your data? Any charting requires that
    the data be appropriately set up in the first place.

    In another sheet, set up a new range. Put X, Y, and Size into A1:C1. In
    A2 enter this formula:

    =INT((ROW()+8)/10)

    In B2 enter this formula:

    =MOD(ROW()-2,10)+1

    In C2 enter this formula

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$J$10,11-A2,B2)

    where Sheet1 is the sheet with your original data. Fill this down to row
    101, and use this range for your bubble chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    laszlo
    Guest

    Re: Placing bubbles

    Hi Jon,

    thanks for explanation and for transforming proposal. If there is the only
    way, I will reaarrange every time my area (the dimension is variable - today
    10 x 10, tommorrow perhaps 15 x 15).

    Thank you for your response and for your help.

    Warm regards,
    Laszlo

  6. #6

    did u find a solution in the meantime?

    hi laszlo

    i understood your problem because i have the same problem!
    i just posted it.
    i don´t want to rearrange the table too since i want to have the values in it getting the bubbles in it too.
    did u find a solution in the meantime??

    thanks
    haydar