Excel resizing Graphs

  1. #1
    meyerse
    Guest

    Excel resizing Graphs

    When I copy and past a graph, excel resizes it. It does not matter if I say
    move and size with cells or move and don't size with cells. I need to make
    MANY graphs all of the same size. I created a custom layout, but I then must
    manually resize every graph. Is there a way to copy and past as the same
    size? Is there a way to LOCK this size as well?

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Excel resizing Graphs

    Which version of Excel are you working with?

    In all my experience, anytime you copy an object the pasted object is
    identical in all respects, including size. While writing this I have been
    repeatedly doing so in '03. No matter what I size any chart as the pasted
    duplicate is identical. Are you saying it happens differently for you?

    Or are you creating charts 'as new sheets' and then copying them to a
    worksheet? If so, the charts are not being resized - charts inserted as new
    sheets are sized larger than the same chart would be if inserted 'as object
    in' a worksheet. If that is the case, you might do better to insert the chart
    directly into the worksheet where you want it displayed. Some resizing may
    still be necessary. Height & width for each location option are set within
    the program and I know of no available dialog for changing the default
    dimensions. (Although it can be manipulated with VBA.)

    Also, the Move/Size feature has no effect on Copy/Cut & Paste actions. It
    only pertains to how/if an object is effected when Rows/Columns/Cells are
    inserted or deleted.

    Hope this is useful |:>)

  3. #3
    meyerse
    Guest

    RE: Excel resizing Graphs

    I'm using office 2003 (version 11)
    I'm copying graphs in a worksheet and pasting the copy right next to it, but
    it SHRINKS it substantially. Now I agree that normally it pastes it the same
    size, but for some reason in this workbook, some setting or feature has
    changed because the pasted copy right next to the original is MUCH
    smaller.... I want all the copies to be the same size as the original, but I
    have to manually change them ALL to be the same size. Another oddity is if I
    Copy the Copy, it makes it SMALLER YET AGAIN.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel resizing Graphs

    Set the zoom to 100% before copying and pasting. If the zoom is 75%, a
    copied chart will paste at 75% of the original size. (Not exactly 75%,
    slightly larger). If the zoom is 50%, the pasted chart is close to 50%
    of the original's size.

    If you hold down Shift and click on a chart, you select the chart
    object, which is the shape that contains the chart. It is selected when
    the handles on the corners of the chart are white filled, not black.
    Copying and pasting the chart object produces same-size charts at any zoom.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services