How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

  1. #1
    Elizabeth
    Guest

    How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

    I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four different sets
    of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12 (x-axis).
    Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data, but
    they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the trend
    lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

    In a line chart (in any chart with a category axis, in fact), a
    trendline covers the entire range of the X axis. If you're able to plot
    the points on a Scatter chart, the trendline only spans the actual range
    of data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Elizabeth
    Guest

    Re: How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

    Jon,
    Thanks for your help. It is good to know what I can't do it so I stop
    banging my head trying.
    Elizabeth