Moving labels in a scatter plot

  1. #1
    Ian Belcher
    Guest

    Moving labels in a scatter plot

    I've got about 40-50 points in a scatter plot all with lables that are about
    5 characters long. Many of these labels overlap with each other and with
    other data points.

    Is there a way to automatically move the labels that are overlapping? I can
    do it by hand, but it takes a while to do.

    Thank you
    Ian

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Moving labels in a scatter plot

    Hi Ian,

    There is nothing automatic or built-in to do this.
    Perhaps you could make use of the F4 (repeat) button. Select one of the
    labels and adjust its alignment property to say Above. Now use the
    cursor keys (left/right) to move through the other data labels. Press F4
    to set any suitable labels to Above alignment. Repeat for Below / left /
    right.
    Of course your layout of data points and labels may mean that the
    standard locations will not solve your problem.

    I have done a little work on this using code but its not ready for
    public consumption. Drop me a private email if you want to discuss this
    further.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --