Line chart with more than 65535 data values

  1. #1
    m4nd4li4
    Guest

    Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    Hello,

    I have a text file with each data (from instrument) separated by
    comma, ie it looks like this....

    123.0,111.0,100.0,98,0,254.0, etc, etc,

    As you can see, it is just one row of data. The text file usually has
    more 65000 of these data. Is it possible to plot this data using line
    chart? These data values will be on the Y-axis. Any suggestions willl
    be greatly received.

    Many thanks,

    Bharesh

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    Do you have a 50 foot roll of paper to print it? Otherwise the data points
    will be lost!
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    I don't want to print the data but plot them using a XY line chart. I thought it would be possible to put first 256 numbers in the first row, the second 256 in the second row, so on and so forth.

    This is really what I'm after.

    Regards,

    Bharesh

  4. #4
    redbelly

    m4nd4li4 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a text file with each data (from instrument) separated by
    > comma, ie it looks like this....
    >
    > 123.0,111.0,100.0,98,0,254.0, etc, etc,
    >
    > As you can see, it is just one row of data. The text file usually has
    > more 65000 of these data. Is it possible to plot this data using line
    > chart? These data values will be on the Y-axis. Any suggestions willl
    > be greatly received.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Bharesh

    As I see it, you have three problems to deal with.

    1. The data must be transposed from a single row format to a column
    format.
    2. The data takes up more than the 65k limit of Excel
    3. Even if you overcome issues 1 and 2, your chart and Excel file
    might be quite cumbersome to work with because of the large data set.
    You might consider either averaging every 10 points into a single data
    point to reduce the total number, or breaking the data set into
    separate, more manageable blocks.

    Mark

  5. #5
    redbelly
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    Make that 4 problems.

    4. If you don't reduce the data as mentioned in #3 of my previous
    message, the chart will truncate the data series after 30,000 values.
    So you'll need to at least break up the data into blocks of 30,000
    points.

    Perhaps other people will post here even if they know how to solve just
    1 of the 4 problems, and eventually a complete solution may emerge.

    Mark

  6. #6
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    "redbelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Make that 4 problems.
    >
    > 4. If you don't reduce the data as mentioned in #3 of my previous
    > message, the chart will truncate the data series after 30,000 values.
    > So you'll need to at least break up the data into blocks of 30,000
    > points.

    32,000 in Excel 97, I believe.
    --
    David Biddulph

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    maximum 32,000 points per series, 256,000 points per chart. This is the
    Excel limit, but the visibility limit is substantially lower.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  8. #8
    m4nd4li4
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    Many thanks for replying. The data is collected from an instrument and
    the settings cannot be changed. Therefore I cannot average 10 points as
    suggested earlier.

    What about using VB6 to extract the first 5000 numbers from the
    textfile saving them in another textfile, then another 5000 numbers,
    etc,etc....??

    Regards,

    Bharesh

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Line chart with more than 65535 data values

    You could do that in Excel also using the same VB file system
    manipulations, and dump the data into worksheets.

    - Jon
    -------

  10. #10
    We have a similar problem and are considering using QuattroPro as this has a limit of 1,000,000 lines.

    Alec

  11. #11

    Quattro Pro, eh??? Haven't used this many years. I will have to find a copy and try your suggestion. Many thanks for the reply.

    Regards,
    Bharesh