cross hatching and pie chart

  1. #1
    Cenk Ursavas via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    cross hatching and pie chart

    I have two excel questions:
    First one is about cross hatching:I am using asp to do cross hatching but
    there is a problem when the two hatchings overlap.One hatch stays behind
    the other:
    http://www.imlab.psu.edu/forest/gr.gif
    is there a way to make the hatches transperant?

    My second question is about pie charts: I am also displaying pie charts to
    the user via asp. I want to get rid of the black box around the pie chart:
    http://www.imlab.psu.edu/thesis/1.gif
    or make the chart pie itself larger in the box,is there a way to do this?
    Is there a way to display the CategoryName instead of the percentage?
    "crt.Chart.SeriesCollection(3).DataLabels.ShowCategoryName = True"
    does not seem to work!!!!

    Thanks for the answers
    cengo

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: cross hatching and pie chart

    Cengo -

    If you're using ASP, it's not exactly Excel, but here goes:

    1. The cross hatching will look ugly, and you won't be able to make it partially
    transparent, no matter what. Transparency in Excel chart fills has not progressed
    since Excel 5.

    2. To remove the box from an Excel chart:

    crt.Chart.ChartArea.Border.LineStyle = 0

    To reposition and resize the pie in an Excel chart:

    With crt.Chart.PlotArea
    .Left = 72
    .Top = 21
    .Width = 172
    .Height = 170
    End With

    The values are in points, but I wonder if the OWC uses pixels.

    To change the data labels:

    crt.Chart.SeriesCollection(3).DataLabels.Type = xlDataLabelsShowLabel

    or use 4 in place of xlDataLabelsShowLabel.

    Here's a handy tip. Even though you're not working in Excel, the chart object models
    are similar. Use a combination of Excel's macro recorder, and the object browser in
    the platform within which you're developing, to figure out the appropriate syntax.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Cenk Ursavas via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: cross hatching and pie chart

    Thanks for the responses,
    So there is no way I can do cross-hatching in excel with transparency??Is
    there any other graph I can do which is kind of close to cross-hatching?
    I removed the box around the excel pie chart but I have a problem:
    "crt.Chart.ApplyDataLabels (xlDataLabelsShowLabelAndPercent)" works but
    "crt.Chart.ApplyDataLabels (xlDataLabelsShowValue)" does not work!!So i can
    not show labels or the values...Why is that also "crt.Chart.HasDataTable =
    True" works for line graph but does not work for a pie chart??
    Thanks for the answers
    cengo

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: cross hatching and pie chart

    Cengo -

    The cross hatching is an old thing anyway, from the old days of dot matrix. Now most
    of the patterns are so small when printed, they just look like a lighter version of
    the color.

    "crt.Chart.ApplyDataLabels (xlDataLabelsShowValue)" worked for me in a pie chart.

    Data Tables are only available in a limited few chart types, like Line, Column,
    Area, and I think Bar charts.

    - Jon
    -------