Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Simple chart

  1. #1
    TomC
    Guest

    Simple chart

    On my excel worksheet, I have two columns. In column A1 I have the title
    "YEAR" followed by various years like 1994, 1995, etc, and in B1 I have the
    title "AVERAGE", followed by values for each year. I highlight A1:B12 and do
    the chart wizzard and get a bar chart which spreads the value of both year
    and averages. The X axis is just a consecutive number and the y axis spreads
    the values of years and averages. What I want is a chart where the X axis to
    displays the years from the A column and the Y axis to displays the numbers
    from the B column. How do I do this? Thanks.
    Tomc

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Simple chart

    Hi,

    Try removing the title in A1.
    The chart wizard will assume that the text is for the series name for 2
    columns of data. Without the text it should assume category labels in
    column A and data in B

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Simple chart

    "TomC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On my excel worksheet, I have two columns. In column A1 I have the title
    > "YEAR" followed by various years like 1994, 1995, etc, and in B1 I have
    > the
    > title "AVERAGE", followed by values for each year. I highlight A1:B12 and
    > do
    > the chart wizzard and get a bar chart which spreads the value of both year
    > and averages. The X axis is just a consecutive number and the y axis
    > spreads
    > the values of years and averages. What I want is a chart where the X axis
    > displays the years from the A column and the Y axis to displays the
    > numbers
    > from the B column. How do I do this? Thanks.

    When using the chart wizard, choose "XY (scatter)" as the chart type.
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    TomC
    Guest

    Re: Simple chart

    Thank you Andy. That was the answer I needed.
    Tomc

    "Andy Pope" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Try removing the title in A1.
    > The chart wizard will assume that the text is for the series name for 2
    > columns of data. Without the text it should assume category labels in
    > column A and data in B
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andy
    >
    > TomC wrote:
    > > On my excel worksheet, I have two columns. In column A1 I have the title
    > > "YEAR" followed by various years like 1994, 1995, etc, and in B1 I have the
    > > title "AVERAGE", followed by values for each year. I highlight A1:B12 and do
    > > the chart wizzard and get a bar chart which spreads the value of both year
    > > and averages. The X axis is just a consecutive number and the y axis spreads
    > > the values of years and averages. What I want is a chart where the X axis to
    > > displays the years from the A column and the Y axis to displays the numbers
    > > from the B column. How do I do this? Thanks.
    > > Tomc

    > --
    >
    > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    > http://www.andypope.info