[SOLVED] I want to ignore invalid values in scatter chart

  1. #1
    Phil Rowe
    Guest

    [SOLVED] I want to ignore invalid values in scatter chart

    I have an x-y scatter chart which uses values calculated from other sheets in
    the workbook. Sometimes these values are invalid, and therefore I use "IF"
    to render the appropriate cell blank. The entire series then disappears from
    the chart. I just want that point to bu uncharted. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: I want to ignore invalid values in scatter chart

    Hi,

    I can't reproduce you problem. Depending on the formula used my data
    points either do not show, as intended, or have the value zero.
    Are you using a formula like this?

    =IF( test , value , NA() )

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: I want to ignore invalid values in scatter chart

    Excel cannot "render ... [a] cell blank" via an "IF" function, because
    the IF function must return something, and MS has not defined a return
    value that would be equivalent to a blank cell. Most people think of
    returning "" as blanking the cell, but "" is a string, and Excel graphs
    strings as zero. As Andy suggested, NA() or equivalently #N/A will not
    plot, but it also does not cause a break in connecting lines on the
    chart. Also, #N/A is an error value that will propagate through
    formulas unless you filter it out with IF(ISNA()). Bottom line is that
    nothing behaves exactly like an empty cell other than a truly empty cell
    (i.e. deleting the formula).

    Jerry