lines on bar charts

  1. #1
    DavidNHFCU
    Guest

    lines on bar charts

    If I graph a simple straight trend line on a chart, how do I get it to run
    behind the bars on my chart - rather than showing across the bars?

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: lines on bar charts

    David,

    To do so, you will need to create an overlay chart. An overlay chart is
    simply one chart laid over another. First create the Excel generated line
    and bar chart. The, make a copy of the chart. Delete or make tranparent
    everything in the second chart with the exception of the columns. Finally,
    overlay the second chart over the first.

    What I'm describing above sounds like a lot of work. However, Jon Peltier
    has an example with VBA code that automates much of the process. Jon Peltier
    describes this technique here. You can download the example with code from
    this link as well.

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignCharts.html

    ----------------------------
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: lines on bar charts

    another way to do this is to use the data from the trend line and plot out a
    curve representing the trendline. put it on a different axis so that it can
    plot behind th ecolumns.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: lines on bar charts

    bj -

    Did you try this? The trendline, for a series on any axis, is drawn in front of a
    bar or column series, on any axis. So are connecting lines for any marker-and-line
    style series (scatter and line charts), and error bars.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    Re: lines on bar charts

    You are right, My suggestion does not work with Excel.. I remember doing it
    so now I wonder what program I was using at the time.