Multi-sheet data charting problem

  1. #1
    Jim M
    Guest

    Multi-sheet data charting problem

    Hi folks,

    I'm relatively new to the "joys" of Excel, so go easy!

    I have a multi-sheet workbook. Each page has a cell containing a total
    - let's call it "D2".

    I want to take data from cell "D2" on each sheet and make a "clustered
    column" chart.

    I also want each column to take the name of each sheet, thus:

    __
    __ __
    __ __ __
    __ __ __
    |______|______|______|
    sheet1 sheet2 sheet3 etc.

    Is this possible? I have tried using the Chart Wizard but, when I
    select cell D2 across all sheets, thus:

    Data range: ='sheet1:sheet4'!$D$2

    ....it returns an error: "Reference is not valid". Presumably this is
    because I'm trying to create a chart using only one cell from each
    sheet... any advice?

    Is there potentially a better way to manage my data than the way I'm
    doing it now (without re-doing the whole thing)?

    ARGH!

    TIA
    Jim

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Multi-sheet data charting problem

    Jon Peltier has instructions for charting data from different sheets:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...entSheets.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Jim M
    Guest

    Re: Multi-sheet data charting problem

    In article <[email protected]>, Debra Dalgleish
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jon Peltier has instructions for charting data from different sheets:
    >
    > http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...entSheets.html

    Sorry, but I've already looked at that page and none of it means much
    to me. As I've mentioned, I know hardly anything about Excel.

    /And yet I'm forced to use it against my will!!/

    Just kidding... ;o)

    Jim