How to get a polinom trend eq. for data series not starting at 0?

  1. #1
    juannrobless
    Guest

    How to get a polinom trend eq. for data series not starting at 0?

    I'm trying to fit a 3rd degree trend line to a data series with independent
    values starting from -8 to 10. The 3rd degree equation that I get keeps
    assuming that the first independent data point is zero, and so, the
    y-intercept of the equation is not the value for -8. These are the data
    points,

    m Freq (cm-1)
    -8 2107
    -7 2112
    -6 2116
    -5 2120
    -4 2124
    -3 2128
    -2 2132
    -1 2136
    0 2139
    1 2147
    2 2151
    3 2155
    4 2158
    5 2162
    6 2166
    7 2169
    8 2173
    9 2176
    10 2180
    And so, the y-intercept at x=0 should be close to 2139 instead of the 2104
    value that I get. How to make excel recognize that the first data point is
    not zero?
    Please help,
    Juan

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How to get a polinom trend eq. for data series not starting at 0?

    I get y=-0.0041x^3-0.0121x^2+4.3565x+2141.2 for the trendline equation
    With LINEST (see my site www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips) I get the
    same:
    -0.00412 -0.01211 4.356495 2141.183

    What makes you think the 'real' value of the intercept is 2139?
    Please explain more what you mean by "The 3rd degree equation that I get
    keeps
    assuming that the first independent data point is zero"

    By the way, you are working with a "polynomial"

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: How to get a polinom trend eq. for data series not starting at 0?

    Juan -

    You are using the Line chart type (which uses values 1,2,3,... for fitting a
    trendline).

    Instead, use the XY (Scatter) chart type (which will use -8,-7,...).

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How to get a polinom trend eq. for data series not starting at 0?

    Use a XY Scatter chart rather than a line chart. Though they look
    similar, only the former supports numerical values on the x-axis.

    From just plotting the data, it would appear that a linear fit would be
    the most appropriate. You should use LINEST with the Stats option to
    see if your results are significant. See Trendline coefficients
    (http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...efficients.htm).

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...