This is a doozy...

  1. #1
    Jen Kulak
    Guest

    This is a doozy...

    I don't even know where to begin with this one. I have information that
    needs to go into some form of a chart--any chart. I need to show the number
    of departments in several buildings that are compliant with rules from Jan
    thru April. Basically, from what I can see, I need to have three axis:
    month, building, and number. What graph should I use and how should I go
    about doing this?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: This is a doozy...

    one possibilty would be to set up a column with buildings duplicating the
    name of the building for the number of months you are interested in.
    the next column put the months and copy down for each building
    in the thrd column place the percentage number for each month/building.
    Plot the percentage numbers and go inot <Chart><Source data>< series>
    and select the first two columns for catagory X axis lables.

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: This is a doozy...

    You have any number of choices.

    Create a 3D surface chart with months and building on the x and y axis
    and the #departments as the value (z) axis.

    Organize your data as
    M1 B1 #dept
    B2 #dept
    B3 #dept
    M2 B1 #dept

    and create a column/line chart with the first 2 columns as the x-values.

    Exchange the first two columns to get a somewhat different layout.

    If your data are in tabular format, create a PivotTable (and chart).
    You will automatically get the above chart.

    For something different, put the building ID on the x-axis and the
    months on the y axis in a line or XY scatter plot (actually just a
    number representing the month will do). So, if you have data for 3
    buildings and 5 months you would plot

    B1 1 2 3 4 5
    B2 1 2 3 4 5
    B3 1 2 3 4 5

    Remember you actually have 15 data points for #depts in compliance.
    Plot those as data labels using XY Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or
    ChartTools (www.j-walk.com).

    You could even create little bars indicating #depts in compliance. Use
    custom error bars, use both + and - y bars and set the values to 1/2 a
    scaled value of #depts. How do you calculate the scaled value? Use
    something that is aesthetically appealing. Start with #depts/maximum
    #depts * 0.5

    You can color code these error bars to show relative ranges. If the
    #depts < some threshold, make the bars red. If between 2 threshold
    values, yellow. Above a certain value, green.

    Finally, you could use either horizontal or vertical floating bars a la
    Floating bars in charts (http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/floating_bars/index.html) or Waterfall chart
    (http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...fall/index.htm) These
    would be more difficult to set up than using error bars but will give
    you better format control.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...