Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Putting a label on the x-axis of a column graph

  1. #1

    Putting a label on the x-axis of a column graph

    For a column graph with 2 columns for each month, how do I get a label
    to appear for each of the 2 column groups (ie show Mar Apr May
    repeatedly for 4 different groups)?

    I'd like to see an x-axis like below:

    2 columns each month
    Mar Apr May Mar Apr May Mar Apr May

    Thanks,

    AL

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Putting a label on the x-axis of a column graph

    If you can figure out a little 8th grade algebra (where's an 8th grader
    when you need one?), you can use an example like this to apply custom
    labels wherever you want:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    Basically, you hide the default axis labels (double click the axis,
    Patterns tab, select None where appropriate), add an XY Scatter series
    with points where you want axis labels, then put data labels on the
    points to take the place of the hidden axis labels.

    Bernard Liengme uses the technique in his Clustered-Stacked Column Chart
    example:

    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...ps/Columns.htm

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    [email protected] wrote:

    > For a column graph with 2 columns for each month, how do I get a label
    > to appear for each of the 2 column groups (ie show Mar Apr May
    > repeatedly for 4 different groups)?
    >
    > I'd like to see an x-axis like below:
    >
    > 2 columns each month
    > Mar Apr May Mar Apr May Mar Apr May