Data labels on a stacked chart

  1. #1
    whouser
    Guest

    Data labels on a stacked chart

    I have a simple stacked bar chart, but i would like to display the total for
    the two items stacked for each bar. For example, hearth is $100 and is
    stacked over Indoor with a value of $200. I can display the data label of
    each, but would like to display $300 instead.

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Data labels on a stacked chart

    whouser,

    There are several ways that you can do this. One way is to create a
    secondary reference that consists of the data labels. For example, assume
    you have this data for your stacked bar chart.

    Series1 Series2
    a 100 200
    b 150 250
    c 125 100

    Set up an additional reference that adds the data for the two series together.

    Series1 Series2 Labels
    a 100 200 300
    b 150 250 400
    c 125 100 225

    Then use a data labeling tool or macro to connect a reference from Series2
    to Labels. You can find a list of where to get those tools here:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...t_data_labels/

    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Data labels on a stacked chart

    Hi,

    Here is a way using the data labels of an extra data series.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  4. #4
    whouser
    Guest

    Re: Data labels on a stacked chart

    Thanks, guys. This works great. I appreciate both your answers.