Reducing the size of an xls file with pivot charts

  1. #1
    Valeria
    Guest

    Reducing the size of an xls file with pivot charts

    Dear experts,
    I have an xls file which contains 4 different pivot charts, which all point
    to the same database.
    The first time I created the spreadsheet I could tell Excel to use the same
    database for all tables, so the size of the document was OK; when I added
    lines of data, I had to change the range of every table, and I found no
    option to tell Excel that it is the same database for all of them. The
    spreadsheet went from 3 to 6 Mb!

    As I need to add lines of data every month, I am afraid that the file might
    become huge...
    Do you have a solution?
    Many thanks,
    Best regards,
    --
    Valeria

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Reducing the size of an xls file with pivot charts

    Hi Valeria,

    Use a dynamic range to define the data range for your pivot table.

    This tells you how http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor1.html

    Ed Ferrero

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Reducing the size of an xls file with pivot charts

    The one feature that justifies upgrading to Excel 2003 (at least for me,
    because I don't do all that new XML stuff), is the new Data List
    feature. If you define a region of data as a list, anything that points
    to that list will adjust automatically as the list is expanded or
    contracted. Pivot tables, charts, other formulas, it's really great.

    If you don't have 2003, then Ed's technique is just as effective, and
    only takes a minute longer.
    / sig