Time line chart

  1. #1
    Confused
    Guest

    Time line chart

    Im trying to make a time line chart for a series of dates. Some dates are
    duplicated, which I want to be represented on the Y axes as a whole number
    (1, 2, 3, etc). The end result should display if there is any trends for
    returned parts. "X" axes starts on 05/01/04 and end on 06/01/05. If I have
    4 dates of 8/23/04 the it should plot on the "X" axes between 8/01/04 and
    8/30/04 and on the"Y" axes at 4. This sound like it should be easy, but I've
    tried everything.

    Help,
    Confused

  2. #2
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: Time line chart

    Is this what you are looking for?

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

    Jon Peltier has a host of examples on his site.

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Time line chart

    Create a histogram.

    Enter the end-of-each-month in some column. Then, create a histogram=20
    (Tools | Data Analysis... | Histogram). Specify the end-of-month range=20
    as the bin range.

    Alternatively, use a PivotTable. Add a column to your data. Call it=20
    YYMM. Each cell in this column should have the formula =3DYEAR(A2)*100
    +MONTH(A2), where in my case A2 contained the actual date. Now, create=20
    a PT (Data | PivotTable and PivotChart... -- keep in mind this menu=20
    item name has changed over the last few versions of XL). Specify the=20
    YYMM column as a row field and as the data field. XL should create a=20
    Sum of YYMM data item. Double-click the header and in the resulting=20
    dialog box pick Count instead of the (default) Sum.

    --=20
    Regards,

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,=20
    [email protected] says...
    > I=E2=A4=3D3Fm trying to make a time line chart for a series of dates. So=

    me dates are=20
    > duplicated, which I want to be represented on the =E2=A4=BDY=E2=A4=9D axe=

    s as a whole number=20
    > (1, 2, 3, etc). The end result should display if there is any trends for=

    =20
    > returned parts. "X" axes starts on 05/01/04 and end on 06/01/05. If I h=

    ave=20
    > 4 dates of 8/23/04 the it should plot on the "X" axes between 8/01/04 and=

    =20
    > 8/30/04 and on the"Y" axes at 4. This sound like it should be easy, but =

    I've=20