How do I retain blank cell status in an IF statement?

  1. #1
    HWI
    Guest

    How do I retain blank cell status in an IF statement?

    I have a monthly multiline graph to which I add data by day. The graph lines
    terminate at the first empty cell (day) in the series, which is what I want.
    However, If I use an IF statement to prime the cells dynamically the graph
    lines drop to zero. I have not been able to achieve the desired result using
    "", #NA or NA().

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How do I retain blank cell status in an IF statement?

    No worksheet cell that contains a formula can be truly blank. You have
    already rejected the two closest approximations (#N/A and NA() are
    equivalent).

    The remaining options are

    - delete the formulas in cells beyond actual data (you could use an
    event driven macro to restore the formulas as data is added)

    - Do something along the lines of
    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html

    Jerry

  3. #3
    HWI
    Guest

    Re: How do I retain blank cell status in an IF statement?

    Thanks Jerry - the second site listed appears to be on the track I'm wanting.
    Will try it!