Resize chart data label

  1. #1
    donesquire
    Guest

    Resize chart data label

    Hi, I have chart data labels that are displaying as one line in Excel but
    push over into two lines when paste/linked into a PowerPoint slide. Is there
    some way to force the labels to stay on one line? And as a general matter,
    is it possible to manipulate the size of the box containing the data label at
    all? I can select it but can't seem to resize manually. I also looked for
    info on this in VBA help but couldn't find anything.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Kind regards,
    Don

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Resize chart data label

    Don -

    You cannot resize a data label, an axis title, or a chart title, even
    though it looks like a real text box with eight little resizing handles
    when it's selected. This is the case manually and programmatically (VBA).

    A common workaround is to remove the pseudo textbox with a real textbox.
    The easiest way to get a textbox into the chart is to select the chart's
    plot area or chart area and just start typing. Whatever you type will be
    placed into a newly created textbox in the middle of the chart, ready
    for you to format and position. To link a new textbox to a worksheet
    cell, select the chart (as before), type the equals key, then select the
    cell. The formula bar shows the cell link, =Sheet1!$A$1.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    donesquire
    Guest

    Re: Resize chart data label

    Jon,

    This workaround is fine for us. Thanks very much for your help.

    Kind regards,
    Don

  4. #4
    Frederick, Maryland
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Resize chart data label

    Any way to link the textbox to a position on the series?

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Resize chart data label

    jndreece,

    This thread is nearly 7 yrs old. You are not likely to get a reply. Its better you create a new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]