How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

  1. #1
    Lucien
    Guest

    How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    I have 15 data points with a predetermined mean. How do I create a bell
    graph to show the standard deviation lines and all of the data points along
    the X axis?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    Tushar Mehta has a tutorial on this topic:

    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts...tion/index.htm

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Lucien
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    Thanks for the info.

    One more question: I created the bell graph, now how do I plot points on
    the curve of the graph? I have 15 points that I need to show along the curve.

    thanks,
    Chris

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    Put the X and Y values of the 15 points into two columns, copy this
    data, and use Paste Special (Edit menu) to add the data to the chart as
    a new series.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Lucien
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    Ok, I wasn't clear on what I need to do, or maybe I don't understand. I have
    15 points from a set of data that could represent X axis points based on how
    I created the bell curve. I do not have any y axis data. I used the
    "enumerating a set of points in a worksheet" from the tushar-mehta tutorial
    way of creating my bell curve. I want to plot the 15 points that I have on
    the bell curve that I created. I made the bell curve using:
    mean = 68.44
    stdev = 6.52
    step value = 1
    stop value = 15

    Now my set of data that I want to plot on this graph are:
    67.81
    68.89
    72.56
    61.62
    66.81
    66.13
    54.42
    58.18
    57.35
    63.29
    68.98
    69.74
    67.35
    80.74
    62.16
    I want to show these points along the curve, but I do not know what values
    to use for a y axis point for each one.

    thanks for the help so far,
    Chris

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    After following Tushar's example step-by-step, put your desired X values
    into E3:E17. Put this formula into F3, and fill it down:

    =NORMDIST(E3,$F$1,$H$1,FALSE)

    This is the same formula that you used already in column C to provide
    the distribution values for the X data in column B. Plot the values in E
    and F on the chart with those for B and C. Use markers without
    connecting lines (or else it looks like a tangled cat's cradle).

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Lucien
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    Excellent, thank you for all the help!

    Chris

  8. #8
    Cortney
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a bell graph for standard deviation?

    I followed your instructions but I have a question, maybe it is stupid but I
    would like to know if I should change the -4 that is placed in A2 to
    correspond with my own values? I am just wondering what the x axis
    represents on the bell curve? I have 35 values but if I change the -4, my
    curve turns into a crazy design. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.