How do I use a Defined Name range for a value series in a chart?

  1. #1
    Don
    Guest

    How do I use a Defined Name range for a value series in a chart?

    I would like to create a Defined Name range to use as a the value for a
    series in a chart.

    Example: Cell B2 equals January Sales; Cell C2 equals February sales; and
    cell D2 equals March sales. So, B2:D2 equals sales for Jan, Feb, and Mar. I
    can name that range of cells (B2:D2) "Sales".

    I would like to have a series in a chart named "Sales". Now, for the Values
    of that series, I could put B2:D2. However, I would like to put the Defined
    Name "Sales" instead. That way, if I have 5 different charts that graph
    monthly sales (B2:D2), to add April sales to the charts, I don't have to go
    to each chart and update the Values range to be B2:E2, I could just update my
    Defined Name of "Sales" to now be B2:E2, and all of the charts should update
    automatically.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I use a Defined Name range for a value series in a chart?

    In the Series tab of the Source Data dialog, click on the series, and
    change =Sheet1!$B$2:$D$2 to =Sheet1!Sales. Alternatively, select the
    series, and in the formula bar, change

    =SERIES(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$B$1:$D$1,Sheet1!$B$2:$D$2,1)

    =SERIES(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$B$1:$D$1,Sheet1!Sales,1)

    Read more about dynamic charts:

    and about the series formula:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...esFormula.html

    - Jon