tick mark labels

  1. #1
    Debrane
    Guest

    tick mark labels

    How can I increase the quanity of tick mark labels along the x-axis in a
    graph? I.E. Excel only puts my Date/Time tick mark labels at the beginning
    of each day. I'd like to show tick mark labels every 6 hours.

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    You can change the scale of the X axis to be every 6 hours (.25 day) IF you
    are using an XY Scatter chart. If it's a LINE chart, you can't do it.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debrane
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    Thanks. I tried that ... and you did answer my question, but now I have ALL
    major tick marks. Is there any way that I can have daily major tick marks
    with labeled minor tick marks. ( I know that I can "fake" it my placinfg
    heavy vertical lines in, but I'm trying to make a template for future use by
    other users in the office.) Excel (and other community discussion) sez under
    "Selected Axis", go to "Scale" tab, then in the "Number of categories between
    tick mark labels" box, type 1 to label every category, type 2 to label every
    other category, etc. In my "Scale" tab, I don't get the "Number of
    categories between tick mark labels" box. I have Excel version 2003,
    Professional.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    Excel stores date-time data as the sum of a whole number (the date, in
    days since 1 Jan 1900, give or take a leap day) plus a fraction (the
    time, as elapsed since midnight, so 6 am = 0.25).

    If you make an XY Scatter chart using this date-time as your X values,
    you can do whatever you want, with major ticks at midnight and minor
    ticks every 6 hours. You can enter 0.25 for your minor spacing (1/4 day)
    or 6:00, and Excel will convert the time to the decimal equivalent. You
    can also enter dates for the min or max, and Excel will convert them.

    A Line chart has two ways to do this. If Excel recognizes the dates, it
    creates a numerical date scale axis (misnamed a "time scale" axis by
    Microsoft). It uses only the whole number piece of the data and ignores
    the fraction. Your X axis spacing then can be no less than 1 full day,
    major or minor spacing, and all points are plotted at midnight at the
    start of the day.

    A Line chart can also have a category axis which uses each X value entry
    as a non-numerical label. Points are equally spaced regardless of the
    time difference between points. You can specify a number of categories
    between major and minor labels, and if your data consists of four evenly
    spaced measurements per 24-hour period, you can approximate a daily
    major tick with four minor divisions.

    In a Line chart you can change from one category axis type (Category or
    Time Scale) by selecting Chart Options from the Chart menu, and clicking
    on the Axes tab. You might be better off with an XY Scatter chart. You
    can format the points as in a line chart, so don't let an unfortunate
    choice of chart type names mislead your choice of chart types.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Debrane
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    This chart is an XY scatter graph. The x-axis is formatted with date/time
    format, so I successfully made 0.25 minor tick marks. To label every tick
    mark, I had to change my major tick marks to 0.25 also. However, I want
    major tick marks for every day and minor tick marks for every 6 hours. But I
    also want minor tick marks labelled. You said that I can change the x-axis
    format axis to a category-type axis so that I can get the "Number of
    categories between
    tick mark labels" box in the "Format Axis" Scale tab? If that's what you
    mean, then how do I change the x-axis format?

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    A tick with a label is a major tick mark.

    In an XY Scatter chart, you can have major (labeled) tick marks every 24
    hours with minor (unlabeled) tick marks every six hours; or you can have
    major (labeled) tick marks every 6 hours.

    In a Line chart with a Category-type category axis, you can get "Number
    of Categories between Tick Mark Labels". This will help you define the
    number of minor ticks between each pair of major tick marks, but it will
    not allow you to label minor tick marks.

    If you really want to switch to a Line chart, select the entire chart,
    and using Chart Type from the Chart menu, select one of the Line Chart
    styles. Then using Chart Options from the Chart menu, Axes tab, choose
    the Categories option.

    Why not try the above on a copy of your chart, so when you're done you
    can delete one, without having to backtrack lots of steps if you like
    the previous appearance better.

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Debrane
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    So it sounds like I can't "have my cake and eat it too". I want date AND
    time (therefore must have XY scatter chart); my data are spaced avery 10
    minutes (must have XY scatter chart), but I want to have labels every 6 hours
    with major grid lines every 24 hours. So, if I want it done my way, I'll
    have to just draw heavy vertical lines or .... generate some extra data that
    looks like vertical lines. Unless you have someother ideas? By the way,
    thanks for the overview on chart types.

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: tick mark labels

    You could use the major ticks every 24 hours with a date-only label, and
    format the vertical grid line in a darker grey, then put minor ticks
    every 6 hours with a lighter gray gridline. Then use a dummy series to
    create a dummy axis, with time-only labels every 6 am, noon, and 6 pm
    across the axis, using this technique:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    Since you already have the minor tick marks, you can hide all the
    markers for the dummy series, and you can use a smaller font size for
    the times, which is not possible for labels along a regular axis.

    - Jon
    -------

  9. #9
    Debrane