Different unit distance on axis

  1. #1

    Different unit distance on axis

    I would like both of the axis to have the same distance between their units. I manage to make it so that both axis increase by 1 by each tick, but the physical distance between each tick is not the same on both axis. The x-axis might have 2cm between each tick, while the y-axis has 3cm. This creates a false impression of what the graph actually looks like. I know I can drag the window sideways or up and down to change this, but that would only be approximate. Anyone?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Different unit distance on axis

    Hi,

    Maybe this article will help.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Thanks, I suppose this will help me. I've tried to find out what to do once I've pasted the text that makes up the module. What do I do then? How can I run it conveniently? Can I run this program by having it as an icon on the Excel toolbars? If so, how?
    Last edited by Siberian; 07-20-2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Have done some research on VBA

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Different unit distance on axis

    No need to be scared

    You should not need to install anything else.
    The code can be copied from the page, just highlight the text and
    CTRL+C. Use CTRL+V within a code module to paste code.

    Jon also has some explanation of VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) on
    his site.

    If you get really lost post back.

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,829
    If it fits into what you want to accomplish, why not force the plotarea to be square:

    sub squarechart()
    With activechart.plotarea
    h=.height
    .width=h
    end with
    end sub

    this will force the plotarea to be square. I'm not sure how closely this will force the axes to be equal in length, but that could be checked (using the height/width properties of the axis object) and the width/height of the plotarea adjusted accordingly.

    Note that I've assumed that height is the smaller dimension. If width is the smaller dimension, switch the height and width accordingly.