[SOLVED] stacked alonside with regular columns

  1. #1
    ALVESM
    Guest

    [SOLVED] stacked alonside with regular columns

    hi everyone. i have three series say X, Y and Z. however X only relates with
    Y and Y only relates with X. together they relate with Z. i thought of
    plotting this using a stacked column (with both X and Y) that goes alongside
    a regular column (Z).
    can this be done using excel 2000? is there a smarter way to plot this? tyvm

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    If you arrange your data appropriately, a stacked chart could be what
    you need:

    X Y Z
    X1 Y1
    Z1
    X2 Y2
    Z2
    X3 Y3
    Z3

    The three series stack on each other, but where there are X and Y
    values, there's no Z, and vice versa.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    Oops - I meant to send you here for more examples:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

    - Jon
    -------

  4. #4
    ALVESM
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    yep. that indeed worked. thanks mate

  5. #5
    ALVESM
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    dear mr peltier,
    just one more thing, your advice did work as i told you, but now it seems
    like i can't change the order of the series. i have on column with X and Y
    stacked and then Z alone. but i can't change it to Z alone and then X and Y
    stacked.

    i tried changing the series order (right click and then format data
    series>series order). but no matter the order i input, it always shows up X
    and Y column and the Z. i can only manage to change the stacked column,
    either placing X on top and Y on the bottom and the other way around.

    can you help?

    ty in advance
    ________________

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    Change the data around:

    X Y Z
    Z1
    X1 Y1
    Z2
    X2 Y2
    Z3
    X3 Y3

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    ALVESM
    Guest

    Re: stacked alonside with regular columns

    that makes sense. ty so much