Chart with colored background

  1. #1
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Chart with colored background

    I am trying to make a control chart (of sorts) following the procedures shown
    here:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...ackground.html

    I have RED, YELLOW, GREEN, YELLOW and RED bars and I've gotten them to show
    in the background. The data for the stacked bars is listed like this on the
    sheet:

    RED YELLOW GREEN YELLOW RED <~~label for me
    0.8 0.1 0.2 0.1 0.1 <~~data

    I also have data that is shown like this:

    Aug-04 Sep-04 Oct-04 Nov-04 Dec-04 Jan-05 Feb-05
    1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.07 1.07 1.07

    that I want to overlay on the RED/YELLOW/GREEN sections. I can't seem to
    figure out how to add it to the chart. I'd like to do it with a LINE chart
    if possible.

    Thanks in advance,
    Barb Reinhardt

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart with colored background

    Hi Barb,

    Start by creating a line chart with your dates and data.
    To that add 5 extra data series. Set each of these to you
    red/yell/green/yell/red values. Change the 5 data series to the
    secondary axis and stacked column chart. Use chart options to enable the
    secondary x axis. Adjust the column gap width to zero.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Chart with colored background

    I got a chart, but the dates were on the secondary axis and I needed them on
    the primary axis. I'll try what you suggest. I functionally did what you
    suggested, but didn't change to the secondary axis first. I'll try this.
    Thanks.

    Barb Reinhardt