Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell

  1. #1

    Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell

    Excel 2002. I have a group of 6 different stacked bar charts built from
    parts of a pivot table. Each graph has several bars with each bar
    having sections for categories "10", "20", "30", "40", and "50". The
    graphs can be direct linked to the pivot table (as a pivot chart) or
    linked to an intermediate sheet looksup the data from the pivot table.
    I want to be able to click (double or single click) on a graph bar or
    section of a bar and execute the same action (.ShowDetail) that occurs
    when you double-click on a cell in the pivot table (print the
    corresponding sub-set of the data on a new sheet).

    To do this I need to determine which graph bar (or section of the
    stacked bar) was clicked and relate that to the appropriate cell in the
    pivot table. Then I can select that cell in the pivot table and execute
    "Selection.ShowDetail".

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot tablecell

    Bill -

    A pivot chart has no special events that a regular chart does not, but
    it appears that you can capture the pivot chart's regular events. I
    wrote a recent article on events in Excel Charts, which might help you:

    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Re: Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell

    Thanks Jon...

    Excellent article and it provided just what I needed.

    By the way, the article was very well written and easy to understand.
    Have you published any books on excel?

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot tablecell

    Bill -

    Thanks for the note, I'm glad the article was helpful. I haven't written
    any books, just a few web pages now and then. Check the site in my sig.

    - Jon
    -------