Making a Bubble Chart based on n-values matrix

  1. #1

    Making a Bubble Chart based on n-values matrix

    Hello everybody

    I have the following question for U:

    I have a table with lots of values in rows and lines.
    Imagine a matrix with 10 rows and 10 lines that represent customers and products sold to them. The values in this table represent the earnings, like:

    12,59 1,94 345,46
    16,97 136,48 -256,87
    1,92 356,9 -658,9...

    As you see there are also negative values.
    Now I want to have bubbles that represent these values.
    Red ones for the negative values and green ones for the positives.

    Does any body have an idea what I could do?
    I tried the bubble chart but as you know it just works with x,y,and bubblesize values and not more.
    I donīt want to reorganize the table and just a macro that could be applied to the values.

    I thankk you for your help in advance

    greets
    haydar

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Making a Bubble Chart based on n-values matrix

    The simple way to address your issue is, yes, to rearrange your data.
    Although everyone seems to have such a mental block against doing so, it
    will immensely simplify your life.

    In your case it is even easier than all that. Your values look like X,
    Y, and Z, where Z could be positive or negative. Add two columns, one to
    hold the positive values, another for the negatives. Usa a formula like
    this:

    =IF(C2>0,C2,0)

    for the positive column and

    =IF(C2<0,-C2,0)

    for the negative column (where the specific bubble size is in cell C2).

    Select a blank cell away from your table, then create the chart using
    the chart wizard. In step 1 select the Bubble type, in step 2, click on
    the Series tab. If there are any series in the list, select and delete
    each one. Click Add, then populate the boxes to the right. For Name,
    enter "Positive" (or other meaningful name); for X and Y values, use the
    first two columns in your table. For bubble size, use the first added
    column of data. Click add again, enter "Negative" for name, use the same
    ranges for X and Y, and for bubble size, use the second added column.

    Your result is a chart with two series, one for positive and one for
    negatives. Color each series appropriately.

    If you really hate the idea of messing up your worksheet with added
    columns, put the formulas onto another sheet or a range of this sheet
    which you're not using. The chart wizard will allow you to use ranges
    from different sheets.

    What some people like to do is to put the "real" data onto one sheet,
    then make a pretty sheet for display data, linked by formulas to the
    important sheet. The chart is also linked to the "real" data sheet.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services