Chart Wizard sorta broken.

  1. #1
    themeanies
    Guest

    Chart Wizard sorta broken.

    Excel 2002(XP)sp3 running on XP Pro.

    Chart wizard appears to work until rendering the chart on the sheet.
    The resulting chart is drawn incorrectly. Line and Bar render only a
    thin vertical line without any data. Preview mode during the chart
    works ok. Pie charts render as a tiny dot vs a large circle.

    I have tried uninstalling Excel and re-installing. Insert Graph OLE
    object works fine. Can't re-install sp3 as it's already been installed.

    Would it help to completely remove Office as when I re-installed Excel
    all settigns were still in place, like tool bars and customizations.

    Any ideas on how to "reset" chart wizard defaults?

    Thanks!
    tM

  2. #2
    themeanies
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard sorta broken.

    themeanies wrote:

    > Excel 2002(XP)sp3 running on XP Pro.
    >
    > Chart wizard appears to work until rendering the chart on the sheet. The
    > resulting chart is drawn incorrectly. Line and Bar render only a thin
    > vertical line without any data. Preview mode during the chart works
    > ok. Pie charts render as a tiny dot vs a large circle.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling Excel and re-installing. Insert Graph OLE
    > object works fine. Can't re-install sp3 as it's already been installed.
    >
    > Would it help to completely remove Office as when I re-installed Excel
    > all settigns were still in place, like tool bars and customizations.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to "reset" chart wizard defaults?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > tM

    Found the answer. It appears the Default Chart type was set to a
    corrupted/broken Custom Type. Reseting the Default type fixed the
    problem. I thought I had tried that, but i guess not.

    tM

  3. #3
    Lee
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard sorta broken.

    We have a chart that is showing the thin vertical lines for the columns. We
    tried resetting the default settings and it changed several things, but not
    the columns . . . they remained thin vertical lines.

    We have tried changing the gaps and have tried deleting/recreating the
    chart. There are several other charts which were created in this file that
    are just fine. Oh, and our chart does not preview any different. We have
    found that if we remove enough data points the lines ever so slightly widen
    to thin columns. This chart is not showing any greater amount of data than
    the others in the file (a monthly count for two years worth of data).

    We have this problem with a few select charts and have been confounded by
    it. Can anyone help us?

    Thanks for your time!

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard sorta broken.

    Hi,

    Skinny columns are normally a sign that the axis thinks it's dealing
    with dates and not categorys. Check the axis setting by right clicking
    with the chart and picking chart options. See Axis tab.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel