XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

  1. #1
    Stuart Bratesman
    Guest

    XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

    Excel charts should allow me to align the different types of data labels
    ("Series Name", "Category Name", "Value", etc.) individually when I am using
    more than one data label type in a column chart.

    For example, I would like to be able to use the Format Data Labels dialogue
    box to align a set of Category Name labels "Inside Base" while I align the
    value labels to "Center". At the base of the column, you would see a
    category year ("FY 2006") while the center of the column would display a
    value amount ("$5,634").

    I use both Excel 2002 and Excel 2003.
    --
    Stuart Bratesman, Jr., MPP
    Muskie School of Public Service

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

    You only get one set of data labels per data series. If Excel puts
    multiple values within a label, it does so by concatenation, using the
    separator you specify.

    To get multiple labels, you could always add an invisible series (line
    or XY) that has points where you want the labels. Add labels, either
    manually, or using one of these free Excel add-ins to use cell ranges
    for the label text:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Stuart Bratesman
    Guest

    Re: XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

    Jon:

    Thank you for your very timely reply, and I appreciate your advice.

    However, I guess my point would be that Excel would be far more
    convenient, flexible and responsive if it actually did offer more than one
    set of data labels per series, that is, one indepent set of labels per label
    type (series, category, value, etc.) instead of a single concatenated set -
    with an option to concatenate them if the user were to so choose.

    Having to resort to adding invisible series (which I have already had
    too do on too many tiresome occassions) is painfully awkward, totally
    kludgey, and far beyond the reach of the vast majority of Excel users. After
    all, software is supposed to make the user's life easier and more productive
    - and not the opposite.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

    Stuart -

    Agreed, but it still beats paper and pencil (and eraser!).

    - Jon
    -------