3D Graph Probs

  1. #1

    3D Graph Probs

    Dear All

    I understand in an excel 3d graph the x axis is a category axis, the y axis
    is a series axis and the z axis is a numerical axis.

    I need to create a 3D graph with a category x axis, a numerical y and z
    axis.

    I have 3 columns in my spreadsheet: -

    column 1 - database names
    column 2 - number of proteins
    column 3 - number of genes

    So far, the 3D graphs I am creating are:- column 1 as the x axis, the y axis
    is the series - so contains 2 series (proteins and genes) and the z axis is
    numerical (so proteins and genes are read off this). This wrong...

    So, how do I get column 1 as the x axis, column 2 as the y axis (numerical
    values - proteins) and column 3 as the z axis (numerical values - genes)?

    Thanks
    Last edited by alex_marshall; 08-14-2005 at 09:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: 3D Graph Probs

    If column 2 (number of proteins) is such that all the values are
    equidistant (the values are 1,2,3,4, etc., or 8,16,24,32, etc.) then
    category or numerical will yield similar looking results.

    If not, you cannot do a 3D graph a la XL. Andy Pope shows how to
    simulate one at http://www.andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <alex_marshall.1trc6i_1124028330.0148@excelforum-
    nospam.com>, alex_marshall.1trc6i_1124028330.0148...rum-nospam.com
    says...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 3D Graph Probs

    Think of the series axis as another category axis.

    You have to turn the data from a list to a grid. A pivot table will
    probably do the trick. It must look like this:

    Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4
    X1 Z11 Z12 Z13 Z14
    X1 Z21 Z22 Z23 Z24
    X3 Z31 Z32 Z33 Z34
    X4 Z41 Z42 Z43 Z44

    This produces a surface or contour chart.

    If this is the approach you need, you might want to look at an article I
    wrote on contour and surface charts in Excel:

    If not, follow up Tushar's suggestion of Andy Pope's simulated 3D XYZ chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services