Second x-axis for line graph

  1. #1
    Sabine
    Guest

    Second x-axis for line graph

    I need to create a line graph with two x-axis (!) in MS Excel 2002.

    1) One x-axis should display the date, the other x-axis the day number, eg.
    12/24/04 = day 1, 12/25/04 = day 2...

    2) I also want to re-start numbering the day number in irregular intervals,
    while series one starts on 12/24/04, series two will start on 1/25/05, series
    three on 2/20/05...

    Thanks for your help on this!

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Second x-axis for line graph

    Begin by changing from a "Line" graph to an "XY (Scatter)" graph. The
    "Line" chart is misleadingly named; it has nothing to do with whether
    you want lines or not, rather it is a graph where the x-axis is
    categorical rather than numeric. Any (optional) x-values supplied to a
    "Line" graph are interpreted as category lables, even if they appear to
    be numeric. Consequently with a "Line" graph, the only way to start
    series at differnt categories is to include blank lines for each
    category to be skipped.

    Jerry