Plotting an Orbiting Satellite

  1. #1
    Mike Hogan
    Guest

    Plotting an Orbiting Satellite

    I want to plot a series of X-Y points on a scatter chart
    that represent the position of a satellite at a specific
    time. X-axis is Right Ascension (RA) and ranges from 0:00:00
    to 23:59:59. Y-axis is Declination (Dec) and is -90 to +90.
    X crosses Y at 0. I have no problem plotting the points, but
    I want to add the local time at which each point occurs as a
    secondary X-axis and can't figure out how to do it.

    Can anyone help? Thanks.

    Mike Hogan

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Plotting an Orbiting Satellite

    says...
    > I want to plot a series of X-Y points on a scatter chart
    > that represent the position of a satellite at a specific
    > time. X-axis is Right Ascension (RA) and ranges from 0:00:00
    > to 23:59:59. Y-axis is Declination (Dec) and is -90 to +90.
    > X crosses Y at 0. I have no problem plotting the points, but
    > I want to add the local time at which each point occurs as a
    > secondary X-axis and can't figure out how to do it.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > Mike Hogan

    Are you sure you want to plot it on the secondary x-axis? You may want
    to consider using custom data labels. I assume the local time is in a
    column. Use Rob Bovey's XY Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or John
    Walkenbach's Chart Tools (www.j-walk.com) to add that column as data
    labels to the plotted x,y points.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  3. #3
    Mike Hogan
    Guest

    Re: Plotting an Orbiting Satellite

    There are about 90 points at 10-second intervals for a
    15-minute section of an orbit. Labeling each one on
    the chart would probably produce something unreadable.
    Also, I will be adding a second series with different
    X-Y values during the same time period. The ultimate
    objective is to show the difference in output of two
    different methods of predicting orbital paths. I think
    a secondary axis is the way to go, but am open to
    suggestions.

    Thanks for the input
    Mike Hogan

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Plotting an Orbiting Satellite

    To plot a secodary x-axis, add a 2nd series (maybe the same series
    itself). Then, with the chart selected, select Chart | Chart
    Options... | Axes tab.

    I still don't think a secondary x-axis makes sense, but it's your
    chart... {grin}