Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

  1. #1
    MHutchins
    Guest

    Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

    Why not make Microsoft Graph accessible ffom Excel, for greater flexibility
    in graphing information than Chart Wizard allows?

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

    Pardon my asking, but are you nuts? MSG is merely Excel's baby brother. The chart
    wizard and the rest of the possibilities for charting in Excel greatly exceed MSG's
    meager capabilities.

    If you really want MSG within Excel, here's how:

    Insert menu > Object... > Create New tab, scroll down to Microsoft Graph Chart.

    The MSG chart is completely independent of the Excel spreadsheet, BTW, so it won't
    even link to any data in the worksheet.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    MHutchins
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

    I stand corrected; can you recommend a comprehensive resource for graphing
    using chart Wizard? I need to graph data that includes multiple parameters,
    multiple sampling locations over multiple dates. I find Chart Wizard
    difficult to use with respect to assigning fields to the x and y axes,
    identifying series... Perhaps I need to design my worksheets differently, but
    it would be nice to have the flexibility to assign fields freely, without
    having to deal with Chart Wizard trying to second guess me.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

    You can override anything the chart wizard does, but with a few
    preliminary steps, you can make the wizard work for you, not the other
    way round.

    Put your data into lists, meaning contiguous regions, with series in
    columns, the first column as the shared X values (if they're shared,
    otherwise simply alternate X and Y values as paired columns, with X to
    the left), the first row as column headings, and the top left cell
    blank. Select the whole range, including top row and left column, then
    the chart wizard will use the first row as series names and the first
    column as categories. You don't need to be so neat and orderly about it,
    but in 99% of the cases, it will save minutes per chart.

    If the chart wizard doesn't get the used range the way you want, then on
    the Source Data tab of the wizard (step 2) or in the Chart menu > Source
    Data dialog, click on the Series tab, and independently assign the name,
    X values, and Y values for each series.

    MS Chart forces you to use the inflexible data sheet for your data,
    which doesn't allow you to chart data from different ranges, to not
    chart data from within a range (e.g., omit some columns), to chart data
    from different sheets or workbooks. What's in the data sheet is in the
    chart, and vice versa.

    There are lots of resources on the internet, most of them simplistic and
    incomplete. I have a few pages about this on my web site. Start here and
    scroll around:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...artWizard.html
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ourceData.html
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...DataRange.html

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    MHutchins
    Guest

    Re: Chart Wizard in Excel not flexible enough

    Thank you for the info! I will try your suggestions and check out your pages
    for more info. I had looked at a lot of internet sources and, as you noted,
    they were simplistic and incomplete.

    Michelle