Comparing actual spends against a budget

  1. #1
    Tracey
    Guest

    Comparing actual spends against a budget

    Hello

    I don't know much about charting, but have a user who wants to do something
    like this:

    They have a chart which shows the actual expenditure on a number of items,
    this is normal column chart. Having already created this chart, they now
    want to include another set of values which show the budget for these items
    and represent this in the chart.

    What they are hoping to have is the original column chart with the budget
    shown as columns "in the background" so that readers can compare what they
    have spent with what they were allowed to spend.

    Please can you advise as to the best way to achieve this? I looked at combo
    charts but as I say, I am new to this. If it helps, the list of items
    reaches around 10. We are using Excel 2003.

    cheers
    Tracey

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Comparing actual spends against a budget

    Tracey -

    You can put the data for budget and actual side by side:

    Budget Actual
    Item 1 [data] [data]
    Item 2 [data] [data]
    Item 3 [data] [data]
    etc.

    Select the range and make a clustered column chart, which shows
    budget-actual pairs of columns. If you want to show some overlap, double
    click one set of columns (either), and on the Options tab, adjust the
    Overlap parameter appropriately. I'd suggest not using 100%, because if
    they go over 100% of budget, you won't see the budget column at all.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Tracey
    Guest

    Re: Comparing actual spends against a budget

    Star!!!

    Thank-you very much

    news:%[email protected]...