Excel should display linear equation of line drawn on graph.

  1. #1
    landen99
    Guest

    Excel should display linear equation of line drawn on graph.

    Make a graph (chart), draw a straight line on the graph. So what's the slope
    and the intercept? An option to display the linear equation would quickly
    reveal both.

    Excel cells should be able to directly link to precise values of the
    coefficients of the equations displayed in a graph. I can't say how many
    times I've modeled a best fit only to find that a coefficient changed when my
    original data changed or that a manual entered coefficient wasn't precise
    enough and yielded a bad fit equation.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Excel should display linear equation of line drawn on graph.

    Do you not know about the functions SLOPE, INTERCEPT ,LINEST, FORECAST and
    TREND?
    Please read Help and come back if more info is needed.
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Excel should display linear equation of line drawn on graph.

    If that straight line was a trendline, then there is already an option
    to display the equation (on the Options tab of the Add Trendline
    dialog), you just didn't use it.

    If you mean that you want to see equations for each line segment that
    connects two points, that would be a bit busy, since there is no
    guarantee that more than two points will lie on the same straight line.

    Jerry