Change line in Chart

  1. #1
    JeroenM
    Guest

    Change line in Chart

    Hello,

    I have the following question:
    I have an Excel chart with a target line. In some cases I want to have the
    target line as a dotted line, and sometines as a continuous line. Somewhere
    on the worksheet is a cell wich determines if it must be a dotted or
    continous line. Is it possible to make the chart in such way that if I
    change the cell for continuous/dotted, the line in the chart is updated
    automatically (from dotted to continuous or the other way).

    Thanks in advance,

    JeroenM.

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Change line in Chart

    If you want it dotted in some places and a line in others, you'll need to
    have a series for the dotted line and a series for the solid line.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    JeroenM
    Guest

    RE: Change line in Chart

    OK, but how can I make sure that the chart "knows" which line it has to draw,
    a dotted or continuous one? This depends on the value of a cell somewhere in
    the worksheet.

    JeroenM.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Change line in Chart

    Set up the data like this:

    X Y Y dashed Y solid

    The X and Y data are in the first two columns, then formulas in the next
    two columns look back at the indicator cell to determine whether the
    values should equal Y or NA(). NA() will not plot in a line or XY chart.
    The formula would look like this:

    Y dashed:
    =IF(<Y dashed>,Y,NA())

    Y solid
    =IF(<Y solid),Y,NA())

    where <> indicate the condition to display that column, and Y is a link
    to the corresponding cell in the original Y column.

    Select the column of X values, then hold CTRL while selecting both Y
    columns. Make your chart. Set the cell to display the dashed line, then
    format the dashed line series. Set the cell to show the solid line, and
    format the solid line series.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    JeroenM
    Guest

    Re: Change line in Chart

    Sorry for the late response, but still thanks.

    JeroenM.