[SOLVED] How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

  1. #1
    Fitz
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

    I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
    charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick the
    appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually input the
    data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How do I link the
    worksheets with the supporting data directly to the appropriate cells in the
    excel tables that are used to generate the charts. I would like it so that
    when new data is entered on the excel worksheets, the appropriate cell data
    is transferred to the excel tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate
    the chart stats. Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be
    greatly appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
    go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest data
    being presented on the charts.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

    Do the charts in Excel, copy them, and use paste special-link to put
    them into PowerPoint. Update the chart data, and the charts
    automatically update. Open the PowerPoint file, and the linked charts
    also update.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

    Of course, you said "pre-existing", so there's probably not enough time
    to go back and do it the easy way. This Microsoft knowledge base article
    shows how to update an embedded MS Graph data sheet from an Excel
    worksheet. It might be just as much work to correlate each chart to the
    corresponding Excel data source.

    - Jon
    -------

  4. #4
    Fitz
    Guest

    Re: How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

    When you paste an excel workbook into a powerpoint lecture, where does it
    reside? so it can be used to update charts.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

    When you paste the whole thing in, it resides as an embedded object in the
    PowerPoint presentation. It's not easier to do it this way than to keep two separate
    files.

    - Jon
    -------