How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

  1. #1
    Excel_lent
    Guest

    How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

    I am using Excel 2003 and Illustrator 9.0, how do I bring in a chart (like a
    2D surface chart) from Excel into Illustrator, so that it can be edited in
    illustrator (so that it is not just an image)? Cutting and pasting is not
    working.

  2. #2
    Excel_lent
    Guest

    RE: How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

    I take it this can't be done?

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    RE: How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

    Unless Illustrator understands the concept of an XL chart, wouldn't it
    be meaningless to try and keep the XL chart as anything but an image in
    it?

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

    By "edit in Illustrator" and "just a picture", I assume you mean you
    want a vector graphic, not a bitmap.

    I have no idea how Illustrator works, but here's what I do with target
    apps that understand metafiles (i.e., vector images). In Excel I copy
    the chart as a picture. I do this by holding Shift when I select the
    Edit menu, which changes Copy to Copy Picture. Then I select the On
    Screen option(s) and As Picture. Then I go to the target application and
    use its native Paste command.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Excel_lent
    Guest

    Re: How do I bring Excel graph to illustrator (no cut and paste)

    Thanks Jon, I didn't know the lingo, but yes, a vector image is what I was
    looking for. I'm getting my chart to copy as a picture, but it still will not
    paste in Illustrator.

    So, I guess the logical alternative would be to save the file as a metafile
    (ie vector image), then open it in Illustrator.

    Do you know a good way to save Excel charts as Metafiles?

    Thanks for your help!

    -Louis