Charting Run Times

  1. #1
    Nick Junod
    Guest

    Charting Run Times

    Ok, here's the deal. I have a data table on sheet 1. It is organized like
    this:
    Column A: Start Time "A"
    Column B: End Time "A"
    Column C: Start Time "B"
    Column D: End Time "B"
    Row 1: 8/30/2005 8:30:00 PM
    Row 2: 8/30/2005 9:07:00 PM
    Row 3: 8/31/2005 1:21:00 AM
    Row 4: 8/31/2005 3:31:00 AM

    What I am trying to do is chart this data as a stacked bar going from left
    to right so that the first section of the bar (furthest to the left)
    represents the time between column "A" and column "B", and the second/right
    section of the stacked bar represents the time between column "C" and column
    "D".

    What I have done so far is create additional columns that calculate the
    duration of each start and end time. Then I have a floating bar chart that
    charts the first start time and then charts the durations there after.

    The problem that I am encountering is that since my data is in mm/dd/yyyy
    hh:mm AM format (or at least that is how it is input into the data table), my
    floating bar chart can't pick them up becuase (I think) it is expecting that
    my dates and times are starting at 1/0/1900 12:00 AM instead of true/real
    times.

    Does anyone know how I can create a chart to do what I want. If I have left
    out details that you think are important, please let me know.

    --
    Thanks a million,

    Nick Junod

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Charting Run Times

    It is not clear what exactly you are doing but then it may not matter.
    ;-)

    If your dates and *times* are not showing up correctly, it is because XL
    does not have a way to plot times within a day correctly except for a XY
    Scatter chart. Instead of using a floating bar chart can you use a step
    chart? For how see
    Step chart
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...art/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Charting Run Times

    Tushar:

    If Nick is doing it as a Gantt chart, the date-time is the Y variable,
    and it's fully numerical. A horizontal bar chart should be okay.

    Nick:

    Are you merely plotting the durations? Then skip a column, column F
    should be some kind of label for the vertical axis of the bar chart,
    column G should be the difference between columns A and B, and column H
    the difference between C and D. Select the data in columns F:H and make
    your stacked bar chart with series in columns.

    More about Gantt charts:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Nick Junod
    Guest

    Re: Charting Run Times

    I'm going to take a look at these suggestions and get back to you
    guys...thanks!
    --
    Thanks a million,

    Nick Junod